The divorce decree is final but you’re not happy and want to change, say, alimony, or child support, or property division, or some other aspect of the settlement. It’s time to file a motion to modify the divorce decree. For the modification to succeed, you must show why your changed circumstances, such as the loss of a job for example, warrant a modification.

Child custody can also be modified if it is in the best interest of the child and circumstances are such that make a change necessary.

After the petition for modification is filed with the court and served on your spouse, a hearing date is scheduled for presenting your argument.